Glare improvement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glare improvement

I trying to get proper stars diffraction spikes, but i can't with zero blur on the whole image. Do you think you could improve settings to solve this?

A good start point could be:
    - Decrease the minimal "blur" value (lower than 0.001). This should eliminate the global blur and help to sharpen rays.
    - Add a "brightness threshold" setting. To dont apply glare (spikes, here) on objects/pixels with a brightness < to the setting value. (In other words, apply glare to brightness higher the threshold only). We could boost values without affect background. This also contribute to reduce the "blurry background" (here the further and low magnitude stars).
    - Add "rays thickness" (or rays widthness) setting, in percent of source size. Where 100% generates rays at the spot size (as the current generation is) and (e.g.) 15% generates less thicker rays, at 15% of the spot size, such you can see on the real shot below.

Here is an example of real shot spikes :
    Click image for larger version

Name:	M45_aigrettes.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	12384

Now, my render without glare:

Name:	glarecompare1.PNG
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	12385

And same with glare, the best effect i can get:

Name:	glarecompare2.PNG
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	12386

As you can see, spikes are thicker it should be, and every stars in background are affected and blurried, so all the image details are lost.

Hope you can make something to improve glare feature.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Sylk; 03-16-2022, 09:59 AM.
    Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
    Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

You have to use proper initial texture. Stars shouls be smaller and brighter.

Comment

Slightly off topic but could you implicate Glow Id's

Comment

Originally posted by 3DNATTY View Post
        Slightly off topic but could you implicate Glow Id's
        Glow applies on whole image, not objects separately.

Comment

Understand but it would be a nice feature to be able to control what glows and what doesnt with channel id's

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post
            You have to use proper initial texture. Stars shouls be smaller and brighter.
            (32768x16384) x-exr (1.4GB), half float 32bit, hard to do proper texture. I have double size (65536x32768) (3.8GB) but i can't load it in max.

See here for complementary request and infos : https://fstormrender.com/forum/forum/...nd-tonemapping
            Last edited by Sylk; 03-16-2022, 03:06 PM.
            Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
            Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

It is not about image resolution. It is about highligth size and brightness.

Name:	GlareSharpness.jpg
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	12394

Comment

Even overexposed and boosted output amount, spikes are never less thicker than stars sizes.

Name:	glarecompare3.PNG
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	12396

Same with negative RGB offset. Very beautiful, for sure, but still not the wanted effect.

Name:	glarecompare4.PNG
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	12397

Cheers
                Last edited by Sylk; 03-16-2022, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post
                  It is not about image resolution. It is about highligth size and brightness.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]n12394[/ATTACH]
                  Do you use a fstorm light to get this? Else if it is a texture what settings?

I know it's about brightness, and no doubt your algorithm is correct, but difference between generated light and texture is the light is value based, the texture is white point based, if i'm right we can't set white more white than white. That's why only more settings in glare are able to simulate "extra brightness" of texture pixel by rays size adjustments.
                  Higher glare contrast max value can help too.
                  Last edited by Sylk; 03-16-2022, 06:43 PM.

Comment

What texture do you use? Is it hdri format?

Comment

Working...
                    X