No announcement yet.

Saving the alpha channel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hide all lights when you render and that should make the render blaze through and get you an alpha.

Comment

That's a good one, I'll try that. Thanks.

EDIT no sorry that can't work because I can't save the alpha as a separate pass, that's the whole problem

Comment

I've done that before where the alpha was off when I rendered, I'll post that in the request area to make that defaulted on when starting Fstorm.

Comment

Thanks but I already made a feature request post for it just now

Comment

Yeah, saw it, but also mentioned how it would be great to have alpha defaulted on too.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok Tok View Post
              Yes I enabled the "process alpha" option but I need it as a pass for this specific purpose. I'm just going to re-render the whole animation. I made the mistake of rendering out a mask instead of an Alpha channel so I don't have the transparency of the glass baked in. That's the reason I wanted to do a seperate Alpha pass, it's a bit faster then fully rendering each frame again.

btw I was able to save the beauty pass with an alpha baked in, I just didn't check the Include Alpha option. But still can't extract the alpha from those files.
              In this case try to make production rendering with the "render beauty" unckecked (and still "process alpha" checked, of course); only alpha will be saved.
              Last edited by Sylk; 03-29-2022, 11:17 AM.
              Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
              Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

Ah you're right, I tried it before but didn't have Include Alpha enabled when saving the PNG, now it works. I think this is a solution to my problem, thanks!

Comment

You are welcome. Glad to help.
                  Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
                  Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

Working...
                  X