Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fstorm light blocking other lights

Hi Andrey,

I could be wrong here but I think this was working in previous versions. I'm in the process of lighting a product but a light that is in front of another is still visible in reflections, even after unchecking Visible to Camera and other options. If you look at the screenshot the light that is selected has only the floor plane as an object included and is not visible to the camera, but it is still visible in the reflection of the sphere. If I uncheck Visible in the light's settings then it's also not visible anymore in the reflection of the plane, which is not what I want because I need it to reflect on the objects that are Included in this light.

So basically a light should not be visible in the reflection of objects that are not included with the light. It's prohibiting the light of an emitter that's behind it to reach the included object.

I'm on Fstorm 1.5.1e.

Would be great if you could take a look at this.

Thanks.

-Joep
    Last edited by Tok Tok; 01-31-2023, 04:22 PM.

Try to remove visible option

Comment

The visible option removes it but it will also remove it from the objects that are included in the emitter.

Comment

For my piece of mind, will this be fixed in the future?

Comment

This is not a bug. It always worked like that.
          Visible to camera affect only direct visibility (not in reflections or refraction).
          If you exclude lighting emission for some objects, then it means zero emission (black), but it doesn't make the light invisible for this object.

Comment

Yes this makes sense but Corona has worked this out and so for that reason I still have to use that engine to do complex product visuals where there are a lot of lights. I'm doing more and more product visuals with Fstorm but in some cases it's a lot of extra work or sometimes impossible to get the result I want. So with corona it's possible, been using it for years, and for me personally I would love to have this in Fstorm as well.

While we're on the subject, the way corona arranged the checkboxes for Visibility for emitters really makes sense to me and I can achieve all of the results I want with it. They also have a picker for the Excluded/included objects, which is very nice to have. I would be great if Fstorm would adopt something similar instead of the loads of options there are now. (see attachment)

Comment

Adding to this a practical example. I'm visualizing a car and I have a lot of lights surrounding it. I often need to light up one object or put a reflection on but that light will also show up in the reflection of other objects, even though I have excluded those from being affected by the light. This makes it very difficult and also annoying to work with Fstorm for these kinds of visuals.

I would like to request again for this to be improved. I've put an image below to show you what I mean. For product visualization this feature is essential!

What you said earlier, I think there shouldn't be an object that emits light. It's not a physical lamp which if you turn it off will still be visible. If a light object is turned off it should be completely invisible. I don't think anyone would want a black square in their scene, that would be very unrealistic. If you want a lamp or softbox to be there which is turned off you would add a model there that represents a softbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok Tok View Post
                Adding to this a practical example. I'm visualizing a car and I have a lot of lights surrounding it. I often need to light up one object or put a reflection on but that light will also show up in the reflection of other objects, even though I have excluded those from being affected by the light. This makes it very difficult and also annoying to work with Fstorm for these kinds of visuals.

I would like to request again for this to be improved. I've put an image below to show you what I mean. For product visualization this feature is essential!

What you said earlier, I think there shouldn't be an object that emits light. It's not a physical lamp which if you turn it off will still be visible. If a light object is turned off it should be completely invisible. I don't think anyone would want a black square in their scene, that would be very unrealistic. If you want a lamp or softbox to be there which is turned off you would add a model there that represents a softbox.

I can't suggest anything at the moment. As I understand, you want light exclude/include option to affect light opacity, not just emission power.

Comment

Yes. The light source (the object from which the rays are emitted) should not be visible when the option "not visible to camera" is checked, thus completely transparent. I know this is now the case but it still shows up in reflections, which does not make sense to me if the light is not visible to the camera why would it be visible in reflections? As it stands now, I HAVE to use Corona for this. I don't want to but as a product visualizer I need to light up specific objects without that light showing up in other reflections.

Comment

Sorry but it's still not clear to me if this will be changed in the future. I'm running into this problem again atm. It would help me greatly if this could be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok Tok View Post
                      Sorry but it's still not clear to me if this will be changed in the future. I'm running into this problem again atm. It would help me greatly if this could be changed.
                      I can't promise anything at the moment. I am working on faster realtime geometry update. You have to find a solution with current builds.

Comment

Alright thanks for letting me know. Faster realtime geometry update will be also very welcome! Hopefully you can look at this again when you have the time

Comment

Working...
                        X