No announcement yet.

FStorm VS Octane

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Rob - sorry I'm not going to run on stock running out of time always. I thought there was a solution posted (for the best times achieved vs quality) as I looked at your first post with smiley face and you said you used antons settings, clearly different exposure but noiseless so I thought was a 10sec exercise to pull it back in post. Turns out on closer exam a couple hot spots- right wall in particular.

Easiest and fastest method this scenario after actually playing with it for 10min is to keep EV@1, GI @1 and use portal for overall exposure, in turn speeds overall render up further. My settings for this to achieve close look to your original post default setting is:

EV1, GI1, Portal25 = 2:46m on GTX1070oc (portal could come up a fraction to 25.1-25.5 range to get almost exact match but close enough)

Attached Files

Comment

• RobSteady
      RobSteady commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! Interesting approach, will test this on my workstation next week...

WARNING!!!!!! The OP has attached Trojan WIN32/SPURSINT.f!CL to the interior scene! Can you guys run your anti virus to see yourselves? It might be a false positive. Windows Defender just warned me about it. The first Fstorm interior file is the one i downloaded.
    Last edited by Syrom; 10-16-2016, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by adams View Post
    @Rob - sorry I'm not going to run on stock running out of time always. I thought there was a solution posted (for the best times achieved vs quality) as I looked at your first post with smiley face and you said you used antons settings, clearly different exposure but noiseless so I thought was a 10sec exercise to pull it back in post. Turns out on closer exam a couple hot spots- right wall in particular.

Easiest and fastest method this scenario after actually playing with it for 10min is to keep EV@1, GI @1 and use portal for overall exposure, in turn speeds overall render up further. My settings for this to achieve close look to your original post default setting is:

EV1, GI1, Portal25 = 2:46m on GTX1070oc (portal could come up a fraction to 25.1-25.5 range to get almost exact match but close enough)

EV1, GI1, Portal 25 - time 2m50s (gtx1070 ~1900Mhz (this is stock Gigabyte MiniOC autoboost - no manual overclock)

Click image for larger version

Name:	08_GIclamp1sun2portal25.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	5355 Click image for larger version

Name:	08.jpg
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	5356

EV1, GI1, Portal 25 with importance sampling - time 3m29s

Name:	15_GIclamp1Sun2Portal25importanceSampling.jpg
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	5358 Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	5359

Last edited by antonyebl; 10-16-2016, 09:54 AM.

Comment

EV1, GI0.2, Portal 100 - time 1m50s

Name:	13_GIclamp0.2sun1portal100.jpg
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	5361 Click image for larger version

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	5362

Comment

• adams
        adams commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm getting a different exposure using those settings from what your image looks like? I tried a couple scenarios yesterday with even .values of EV and portal right up to 1000! But tonal/contrast range/fidelity would always seem to be lost unfortunately.
        The method I used to test whether render (and settings) were accurate to the baseline (control) image at first post was sample pixels top-left/top-right/bot-left/bot-right and a couple middle to validate match achievable.

• antonyebl
        antonyebl commented
        Editing a comment
        on closer inspection the image lighting looks different;

with portal intensity 100 (maybe not suprisingly) the shadows have more contrast
        (I also decreased sun power from 2 to 1 and set 8 light samples (from 4) which also seems to add a bit of lighting contrast) otherwise I also saw some flat results

highlight are on the overexposed side

except for the shadows below table/armchair (I prefer bit more definition there, hence even the image with lower GI clamp for those areas)
        the contrast is too high (especially visible on the sofa/pillows)

~1minute difference is quite significant though

(just tried with gi0.5 portal30 time 2m10s, seems like a good middle of the road settings for a very similar look (but I also installed the latest FStorm release in the meantime > hence only time indicative)
        Last edited by antonyebl; 10-17-2016, 02:43 AM.

• adams
        adams commented
        Editing a comment
        Curious about GI clamping with an EV of 1 as should be calc'd to the EV

Virus ...... the files have a trojan.

Comment

I'm interested in keep comparing the the 2 engines considering their similarities I keep getting the feeling that Fstorm seems clearer the noise faster? What si the equivalent of the Light Sample setting ( defaul set in 4 in Fstorm ) in Octane?

Comment

Originally posted by Syrom View Post
        Virus ...... the files have a trojan.
        Please stop trolling.
        https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/1...is/1476628347/
        https://www.virustotal.com/de/file/d...is/1476628450/
        FStorm 1.3.0d I Max 2018 I Win7 I i7 5930k I 64GB I 3 x 1080Ti

Comment

*.max file can't contain any viruses. It is not executable.

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post
            Thxs Karba.

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post
              Maybe but a Zip file content can
              Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
              Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

Guys, please stay on topic and stop this paranoid bs.
                The files are clean, see VirusTotal scans.
                FStorm 1.3.0d I Max 2018 I Win7 I i7 5930k I 64GB I 3 x 1080Ti

Comment

• Sylk
                  Sylk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did not say that this is the case, I just nuance a comment.

Originally posted by Sylk View Post

Maybe but a Zip file content can
                Yeah. That was my thoughts aswell and the OP is being defensive. Which has raised my eyebrow. I highly suggest EVERYONE to scan these files.

Comment

I splitted the portals. Small portal = 8 | Big portal = 4 | Sun power 1

Rendertime 1:46 | 100% noisefree

Brightness adjustment in ps.

Name:	1_cc.jpg
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	5454
                  Attached Files

Comment

• adams
                    adams commented
                    Editing a comment
                    What are your other settings EV/GI?

• deC9r
                    deC9r commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have a look at the attached screenshot. If I didnt mention a setting in my post I didn't change it. To adjust the brightness I used the first fstorm picture as a reference. However the right side near the armchair is slightly darker while the lamp is a bit more accentuated.

Environment 1 | GI Clamp 0.05.

Lowering GI Clamp | Light samples | max depth results in an image which is too dark at the bottom table area.

Download checks out ok this end. It's possible with certain hosts (zippy is normally very good) that they add something extra to the payload and nothing to do with the original uploader. I guess adding a psw prevents this.

Granted I'm still stuck with a cr*ppy monitor until I decide on a new one. (lsamsung CF791 looks a good compromise between consumer friendly and pro-useful features) but the setup used in Corona seems to have produced the most natural look?

Comment

He is probably not using an adblocker and clicked on the wrong button.

Comment

Working...
                    X