Price

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price

Hi and Congratulation for this Engine, I did test it quickly and I'm impressed about the quality and speed of it, like many here ( hello Karba ; ) I'm an Octane user and so far found no real competitors, but I think this would be an excellent alternative BUT I read " Commercial version will be available in Autumn 2016 with monthly and yearly subscription. Approximate price is 20 Euro per month."...

Never been a fan of monthly Subs as I love to own it until ready to update, by Year subscription do you mean that every 12 months we have to pay a full fee for it? if yes..why it is so? I find the usual fee until major update really suitable at least for people like me that has no strong income from Photorealistic Rendering...

Thank you
    Last edited by alancodger; 10-01-2016, 10:12 PM.

Hi. I don't have any plans for box version.
    If you don't have strong income, why do you think you would be happy to pay something about 500EURO one time?

Comment

I must admit that I'm not a fan of monthly subscriptions either

Comment

It should stay free
        Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
        Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post
          Hi. I don't have any plans for box version.
          If you don't have strong income, why do you think you would be happy to pay something about 500EURO one time?
          I won't be happy as a matter of fact, Octane is not a 500 Euro Standalone or Plugin, ok.. I had the initial bundle and it was amazingly cheap ..I reckon the affordable price was a strong point of those at Refractive..then Otoy.. but this is another story.. so unless you think that a one time ( 1.xx up to 2.xx) would cost 500 Euro... I can do the math ; )

Comment

Originally posted by Sylk View Post
            It should stay free
            agree. hehe..... but in fairness.... it should be priced at 1 price. I dont do montly either.

Comment

I have no problem with monthly sub, as long as reasonably and competitively priced. I also think should be a boxed version available as well, with updates for 12 months or similar.

I think with a market swamped with rendering engines, to take a strong position in that market, you have to under-cut it.

Make FStrom the McDonalds of rendering engines, fast-affordable-tasty, and you will have a huge chunk of the market. If priced to aggressively it will be a harder pill to chew for studios, freelancers, hobbyists who are spoilt for choice and already well into current workflows.

Better to have 1000 paying users at 10 USD per month, than 100 at $25 USD, not only from a cash-flow perspective but also market penetration.

Comment

rental is a good option if it isn't imposed as the only payment solution

Comment

I would also prefer an one time payment instead of monthly subscriptions

Comment

Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. For sure, leave the choice is the best way to reach the largest number of people.
                    Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
                    Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

I want box edition for one price too.

Comment

Why not combine both?

After x-months of subscription you effectively get (pay-off) your box version, like a mortgage.
                        I believe for an enthusiast artist it would be a good solution, especially if you don't have commercial projects to pay for it.
                        (then again if you do/can make living with rendering I suppose 20e/month is peanuts)

To 'splash-out' 500eur for a box version (the same as the price of my gtx1070) is unlikely to happen.
                        With monthly subscription fee it's more affordable, but if for whatever reason you need to suspend your monthly payments and are left with nothing to use, I don't see that as a very good option either.
                        (3ds Max subscription @180e/month is already too much imho) There should be Fstorm for Blender and I gladly pay 30e (or I use Cycles :P)

Comment

i rather the monthly fee, its a huge price to pay sometimes, i rather pay for it as i use it, anyway for the year it works out cheaper, i am all for the monthly payments, if i dont need it one month i just dont pay or if i need to get a few people to do something i pay for some licenses for them and they use it for the time period and thats it, why to pay for something i dont need, i fully agree with the monthly fee, one time charges are too huge sometimes, at 20 lets go for it! i would gladly be the first inline but i must admit i would just pay for the whole year

Comment

I think Corona got it right after much discussion on the forum.

Provide choice and allow people to choose between subscription or box.

Also, have an introductory period (one month?) where reduced prices are offered for 'early adopters' who are supporting
                            FStormRender at an early stage.

Looking forward to the adventure!

Comment

I think so too. Both options would be the best. I like to know that a software is mine and I can use it when I want (maybe for subscription if necessary to have internet access?).

In addition, one payment of 500€ is a huge amount, but how a subscriptions works? Do you pay 20€/month during, for example, the 5 years you are using it? That's a lot! At least it should stop when you reache the "one payment" price.

In addition I would add that, at the beginning, it should be more afordable with special offers and it should wait, maybe, until there is a complete manual of use/Knowledge base to raise its final price.

And please, create a demo version with last updates! Don't make the mistake of distributing the version v1.1 for demo and verion v5.8 for final users. It won't help you to sell more, as that old version would lack some options. Of course demo could have watermark, limited resolution or whatever you want, but it's always useful to learn a software before buying it. And I waould say the same for student users and a student version, as a student can't afford a software if they have no money to start.

Regards
                              EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB GDDR5 @ 2151MHz || i7 3770 @ 3,7GHz || G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB @ 1600mhz

Comment

Working...
                              X