Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iray vs Fstorm

In what is Fstorm better than Iray?

I only switched to GPU rendering now, so haven't tested Iray (other GPU renderers except for Cycles) before. Just downloaded the 90-day trial...
    At the moment Iray seems already (more) feature rich (render elements, etc, haven't checked if out of core rendering) + I suppose has very good 3ds max integration also...

People have been comparing Fstorm against Octane/Redshift but where does Iray stand?

Originally posted by antonyebl View Post
    In what is Fstorm better than Iray?

I only switched to GPU rendering now, so haven't tested Iray (other GPU renderers except for Cycles) before. Just downloaded the 90-day trial...
    At the moment Iray seems already (more) feature rich (render elements, etc, haven't checked if out of core rendering) + I suppose has very good 3ds max integration also...

People have been comparing Fstorm against Octane/Redshift but where does Iray stand?

I think Iray is outdated.
    Fstorm is hyper realistic with more speed in compare with Iray.
    Best point of Iray is deep integration with 3dsMax(and mentalray materials)

And best point of Fstorm is it's developer Karba.

After adding:
    Normalbump
    Displacement
    render elements
    and so on

you can having better compare between Iray and Fstorm.

Comment

Many thanks for your input.

Just had a look at https://youtu.be/PKJO2KhXbRY and it looks pretty 'up to date' (inc. features people requested for Fstorm here).
      Did you have anything specific in mind, i.e. shader model or such?

I think Karba has done an excellent job so far and I think you can tell from all the people here in the forum (and Fstorm is still in beta, getting better) but that doesn't mean there won't be alternatives. Generally the larger the userbase (development resources) the better product should follow. And any competition should help (from developers getting too complacent

Yet I believe a good GPU renderer should be in Nvidia's interest (hence to even make Iray a good product) although in terms of graphics card sales any CUDA based renderer is not a competition. (then again GPU rendering may account for only a fraction of total market)

At the end of the day what makes a difference is ease of use, speed, and relative visual quality (plus the cost). Off to test for myself...

Comment

I like Iray Plus a lot, however it doesn't support Forest Pro or any other scattering plugin for 3dsmax.
        It does Caustics really well, reflected and refracted, its meant to do Sunlight through water caustics too, but I haven't had success.

Comment

Working...
        X