Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current "GI Clamp + Relative" Settings

Dear FStorm users,

As you're aware, the mentioned settings changed its name through the latest versions ;
    From the initial "GI Clamp" to "Auto GI Clamp", and for the latest releases to "GI Clamp + Relative option"
    I'm confused what the differences are, and what exactly the current settings mean ... I'd be quite thankful if any one explains that.

i guess it means nothing at all i use it the same way as always, don't really notice the difference in anything added there but i might be wrong

Comment

Yes, the default situation may remain the same for GI Clamp through new versions, and I have no problem understanding GI Clamp itself.
      My question was mainly about the new Relative option, and the differences it makes when the option is enabled by default, or disabled.

Comment

GiClamp cuts ray power if it is higher than a value you set.

In the past this value was absolute. You had to care about your lighting power scale. If you decrease lighting power and increase camera exposure at the same time, then you have to decrease gi clamp to get the same result.

New relative option measures scene "lighting power scale". Basically it measures average render image brightness and calculates a value relative to this brightness. If you decrease lighting power, relative gi clamp will be decreased automatically.

In most cases it works properly. But in some cases in animation at can cause brightness flickering. In this case you have to switch off relative option and use absolute value.

I am not sure it is clear, but I hope so.

Comment

aha, i am not sure if i have ever seen this number change from one whether i set it to relative or not though or maybe its how my scenes are setup but maybe its not working correctly somehow? a bug?

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post
            GiClamp cuts ray power if it is higher than a value you set.

In the past this value was absolute. You had to care about your lighting power scale. If you decrease lighting power and increase camera exposure at the same time, then you have to decrease gi clamp to get the same result.

New relative option measures scene "lighting power scale". Basically it measures average render image brightness and calculates a value relative to this brightness. If you decrease lighting power, relative gi clamp will be decreased automatically.

In most cases it works properly. But in some cases in animation at can cause brightness flickering. In this case you have to switch off relative option and use absolute value.

I am not sure it is clear, but I hope so.
            Yes, it's crystal clear !
            The parameter really needed being calculated automatically for the stills.
            FStorm's getting better than the best, day by day

Comment

Working...
            X