Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new color management Max 2024

Hi,

Is the new color management system going to affect how accurately fstorm can render colors? Right now for example when you render a black object there is a jump from RGB 21,21,21 to RGB 28,28,28 (if I'm correct in these values) so there is nothing in between. This has always been a problem for other renderers too since max only supports 8bit colors as I understand it. In quite a lot of cases there is a big jump in colors in the renderer and is actually a bit weird that this has not been addressed from autodesk. Now with the new color management system, is this a thing of the past or does it not work in this way?

I am not sure what you mean regarding " jump from RGB 21,21,21 to RGB 28,28,28".
    Please give more info.

Comment

When I use a value of 0 the color of the material is completely black, as it should, but as I go up it isn't until the value of 15 that the color changes. When I go up after 15 it isn't changing until the value of 25. So while there are 255 shades of grey, effectively there are much less (fill in 50 shades of grey joke here). This is also the case for colors, there is a big step in between colors sometimes. I was told that this has to do with the 8bit color system of Max. But now there is a new color system and it even supports ACES colors, so I was hoping the color jumping can be a thing of the past.

Comment

You are using Corona color picker. I don't know how it works inside.

Comment

It's the same story for Max's native color picker, there is no color change between 0 and 21, the color picker even snaps to that number. The RT windows does not update before the counter reaches 21.

Comment

I have had the same issue for ages, no matter which color picker I use. I am also confused regarding the new color management in 3ds max 2024 - a guide on this topic would be very useful!

Comment

It's not a matter of the right color picker. I'm not a color expert but it has something to do with Max's input, corona render has the same problem. Maybe it's fixed now though, I don't know, but seeing that it's under Chaos Group management now it's probably not.

Comment

Working...
              X