Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FStormRender for 3ds Max v0.3.8a, Hot fix.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sylk
    Wrong or incomprehensible FStorm memory values
    ???
    Why wrong? It's saying that FStorm is using 120mb of VRAM, and GPU-Z is telling you that the total memory used is 600+mb, including those 120mb. Or if you explain your point of view a little more...
    But you can read this too, if it helps: http://www.fstormrender.ru/forum/for...i-memory-usage
    EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB GDDR5 @ 2151MHz || i7 3770 @ 3,7GHz || G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB @ 1600mhz

Comment

• Sylk
      Sylk commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep you right, and i know this... just confused myself, coz issues or bored... my bad

• Miguel1900
      Miguel1900 commented
      Editing a comment
      No problem at all!

there should be a box world mapping option (like in octane). huge time saver especially in orthogonal arch viz projects.
    right now world mapping works planar.
    also i am not sure about the default texture unit size. it's probably one system unit. I personally work in cm (system and UI) to not write comma separations all the time. to scale a world mapped texture to say 20 m i have to tile the texture by 0.0005 then. but yeah i could change system units to metres of course. maybe it makes sense.
    cheers
    boris

edit: also, world mapping is not working for displacement.
    Last edited by boris; 11-11-2016, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boris View Post
    there should be a box world mapping option (like in octane). huge time saver especially in orthogonal arch viz projects.
    right now world mapping works planar.
    also i am not sure about the default texture unit size. it's probably one system unit. I personally work in cm (system and UI) to not write comma separations all the time. to scale a world mapped texture to say 20 m i have to tile the texture by 0.0005 then. but yeah i could change system units to metres of course. maybe it makes sense.
    cheers
    boris

edit: also, world mapping is not working for displacement.
    It uses system units.
    Use 3ds max UVW Map modifier in box mode.

Comment

When will the z-depth render pass??

Comment

Originally posted by Tibor Damach View Post
        When will the z-depth render pass??
        It will be implemented in the future. Can't promise when.

Comment

• mitviz
          mitviz commented
          Editing a comment
          for a start would be great to have all the passes that altus denoise needs, so we can work faster by rendering shorter

• oguzbir
          oguzbir commented
          Editing a comment
          I cant pay for $225 for a year for altus.

• mitviz
          mitviz commented
          Editing a comment
          its the best! consider paying vray license for a year then instead of fstorm and altus, way cheaper

Interesting, seems I'm late for the game as I only discovered Fstorm today
        What is also interesting that the renderer is at v0.3.8a and going paid without reaching version 1? I've been involved in IRay+ and Corona alphas/betas and they were a lot more polished by the time they exited the free mode. Some simple stuff is still missing, as other have pointed out and I'm sure there's a loooong list in the forum too.
        Not trying to sound rude or anything, not at all, just sharing my experience with other rendering engine developers. Of course you are free to do whatever you want with your work

Comment

• antonyebl
          antonyebl commented
          Editing a comment
          There 'will be' need to buy released version at some point, e.g. when max 2018 comes out etc...(unless Karba decides to (re)compile the free version for that too...)

Some valid points raised. Depends what 'market' one's after; for established workflows and pipelines a lack of perceivably essential features is a factor to consider...

Otherwise even with open-source projects folks are happy to support the developers (and pay for convenience/features they want to see developed).

• PIXELFLUX
          PIXELFLUX commented
          Editing a comment
          Karba is definitely free to charge at whichever point he seems fit, as with any software developer. I was merely suggesting a model that worked well and ended up with a bang for the Corona team so much that they moved offices twice now, hired a whole bunch of people and their rendrerer is hard to fault. I've personally been using it on paid projects since Aplha 7.2, if I recall correctly and I do think the timed alphas worked well - they managed to get people to use the engine for a bit each time to get the bugs and feature requests out of the way while keeping themselves totally secured for v1 release day. FairSaaS works well too and the pricing is perfect for individual artists to not need to look for pirated versions (let's face it, how many people do you know with illegal versions of VRay, for example?).
          The bar is pretty high with Corona and I really do like that there's choice. So far I'm digging FStorm and I'm in a market for a renderer that will use my machine to the max (I've got 4GPUs sitting in my box - 2x overclocked GTX 1080 and 2x Quadro M5000, with an overclocked i7-5960X at 4.5GHz and 64GB DDR4 for now) and FStorm looks like a really good renderer straight out-of-the-box, so to speak. Only three things that make me really struggle with my decision here:
          1) FStorm has no physical units or render passes (yet)
          2) No out-of-core, so large scenes will be out of the equation
          3) Redshift renders perceivably faster and produces slightly more pleasing results in some scenarios I've used, even if it is a biased renderer (so is VRay and most others). And features out-of-core for large scenes.
          I'll need to do some more testing to decide and this will also ultimately result in me pushing for a switch at work (I manage the machines and my boss gives me freedom over what tools I use for the jobs at hand), just wished I could try it with more "mainstream" features, even if it was a timed alpha for a month. But this will do, it's already looking very nice and I especially love the glare effect, I think FStorm nails the glares!
          As always - no hard feelings. Andrey is the one converting coffee into code, so ultimately it's his brain-child to do as he pleases with
          Last edited by PIXELFLUX; 11-14-2016, 06:55 PM.

• Iskánder ivp87
          Iskánder ivp87 commented
          Editing a comment
          antonyebl not necesarily... I still work with 2015 and in a lot of places here are business running on 2014

Originally posted by Karba View Post

It uses system units.
        Use 3ds max UVW Map modifier in box mode.
        You underestimate the fun not having to use any object level mapping tools..
        No seriously. Getting variation on instanced objects textures using a (slightly rotated) world mapped box mapping is something I don't wanna miss since I have it..

Comment

Nice work Karba. CONGRATS on all the work amd getting this far. I like many in here think its still to early to charge. Theres several factors that are preventing me from purchasing it at its current state. It should be more polished. Currently i am torn between Maxwell 4.0 and Fstorm. Maxwells UI is superb and real world, but its gpu on v4.0 is garbage. But its UI makes ul for it imo. If fstorm had a similar UI current stage, I would be all for it being released as a paid commercial. But its so early still. Im glad you will do a demo for us to play with and judge its price though.. thxs for that.
          Last edited by Syrom; 11-14-2016, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• mitviz
            mitviz commented
            Editing a comment
            i really hope the ui does not get to the point where it look like maxwells, its abit confusing last time i checked, the best ui is the most simple and i think fstorm has that covered

• Miguel1900
            Miguel1900 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, a demo is absolutely necesary, but he confirmed at least that every final version will have its demo, including last added features too.

Mitviz... i understand your viewpoint on maxwells UI. It took me a while to master it and once i did, I loved it. Its got a steep learning curve imo. Fstorms is very simple but its lacks a few things that would give you further control in a more managable way. Imho.

Comment

Im all for the demo aswell.... at least we can see the progress and see if its worth jumping ship for it. Exciting.

Comment

Hello, are there any plans for a reset-button for the GPU?

Comment

We're at least 3 to want that.

http://www.fstormrender.ru/forum/for...=5052#post5052
                Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
                Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Syrom View Post
                  Im all for the demo aswell.... at least we can see the progress and see if its worth jumping ship for it. Exciting.
                  Demo version with watermarks will be available.

Comment

Originally posted by Hubl View Post
                    Hello, are there any plans for a reset-button for the GPU?
                    This is not possible due to some cuda bugs. I will try to find a workaround.

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post

Demo version with watermarks will be available.
                      Any further info?

1. There will be other restrictions? Time, resolution, anything else? Please don't be crazy agressive like Octane, which can be very disappointing.
                      2. When can we expect the first commercial version?
                      3. Whats coming next? Are there any plans?

Comment

Working...
                      X